Tuesday 13 January 2015

My Top Album of 2014; More Than Life//What's Left Of Me

This was a reasonably difficult decision as there was a lot of good music to come out of 2014 however, there was a clear winner for me;

More Than Life - What's Left Of Me  
Released in April 2014
This was a highly anticipated album for me. More Than Life have always been one of my favourites and I was so gutted when they announced a split after their last release, Love Let Me Go in 2010, luckily I managed to catch them on their 'last ever European tour'.



When they updated their Facebook status in 2012 I was over the moon;



The first track released off What's Left Of Me was Do You Remember and at first I was unsure as the style was quite different in comparison to More Than Life's previous records however, I soon learnt to appreciate the song as it's own thing rather than comparing it with the likes of Daisy Hill or Brave Enough To Fail. The online responses to the new track seemed to be very positive and everyone seemed to be excited for the new album release.

What's Left Of Me was released in April and blimey, I was blown away. This album packs such a punch and each track is filled with emotion. The album is quite dark and seems to sound more along the lines of previous More Than Life releases. The lyrics clearly relate to real life experiences and this allows listeners to relate to the tracks and feel closer to the music in general. I bought the album on vinyl and listened to it on repeat for a few days; it is one of those albums that is not just background noise, it's an album that I will put on and just listen to without any other distractions. There is not a single track on this record that I dislike and I feel it was certainly a good move for the band. 

The cherry on top of it all was when More Than Life announced a couple of dates and I managed to grab a ticket for the show at The Borderline in London. The show certainly hit all expectations and the band were more than up to scratch despite having some time off. but you can read a bit about that in my 9 weeks 9 shows post! 

You can check out More Than Life on their Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/morethanlifeuk?fref=ts

Or stream What's Left Of Me on Holy Roar Record's Bandcamp: http://holyroarrecords.bandcamp.com/album/whats-left-of-me


Do you have a favourite album of 2014? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bex//boolie-blog.blogspot.co.uk