Sunday 14 June 2015

Creativity block: How I'm dealing with it...

Whoever stole my creativity, can I have it back please?!

Over the last two weeks I have been having the most ridiculous creativity block; I have written and deleted four blog posts this week, I just found them so boring and uninspiring when I read them back.

I decided it was time to get back into a creative flow and allow my imagination to take over; if you are in the same boat then here's my top tips for you to revive your mind:

Tip number one: Read!


For me as a writer, reading is such an important aspect of my life and it's where I take a lot of my inspiration from. Over the past few months, I attempted to read various books about people's lives for example: Stevie Nicks, Morrissey, Ric O'Barry, but I realised that I had been reading these books for months and hadn't finished them. This was when I decided to ditch the biographies and dive head first into some fiction. What I needed was to read something that would take my mind away from the real world and spark up my imagination. I am currently reading Submarine; I love the film so thought that I would enjoy the book and I'm just over half way in a couple of days!

Tip number two: Watch!

Watch films. If it's something that you have already seen, it doesn't matter. I recently started watching the Twilight saga again and I absolutely love it (no shame!). I have noticed new things in the saga and similarly to reading, films take me away into a different world. Watching Twilight again has revived my love for vampires and has inspired me to possibly start writing a vampy novel.



Tip number three: Listen!

The majority of famous writers, artists, film producers or just any creative people will tell you how much they love music and how it can inspire. Listen to music that you haven't heard in a long time, find new music to listen to, dig out that album that you used to listen to on repeat; you never know what might come from it.

Tip number four: Get up!

The first three are probably quite cliché however, this tip sometimes helps me more than anything. Get up early and get on with it. Lazing around only results in putting off work and then you are not in the right mindset. To be creative, your heart has to be in it and if you are constantly saying 'I'll do it in a bit' or 'Just one more episode' then your heart is clearly not in it, meaning you wont enjoy it and there will be no creativity.

Tip number five: Put your phone down!

This again is something that people are constantly saying but it's true. Not only is your phone a huge distraction, it is also feeding your brain ideas that are not your own. Some people might say that they use the internet to gain inspiration however, whilst on social media, you are constantly seeing what others are doing and comparing yourself to them; forget about other people and trust in yourself. Believe that you can produce something equally great, if not even greater.

Tip number six: Ditch technology.

Now I don't mean all technology, obviously if you are a photographer then you will need a camera, but ditch the laptop for a bit, don't edit your photos; look at them as good photographs without editing and attempt to improve your photography without computer software. This can be especially important for writers, ditch the laptop and use a pen and paper. You can doodle or just write little notes down; carry a notebook with you and jot things down to refer to later.

This may have been helpful to you or just a bunch of ramblings, either way, I feel like these things are helping break down the block in my brain.

Remember you can subscribe to my YouTube to also keep up with what I'm doing: BexBoolie Youtube

Or on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/bexboolie


BB
For The Oceans




No comments:

Post a Comment

Bex//boolie-blog.blogspot.co.uk