Saturday 7 March 2015

In the News; Prince Hypocritical

If you are a follower of animal rights, the Royals or even just the news you would have heard about the wonderful speech Prince William made against poaching and illegal trading of ivory in China. But wait, what's this? Is Prince William a hypocrite? Well I never!

The Prince gave his speech after visiting an Elephant sanctuary in China, awww how lovely...or not. It was then revealed on the news by a very brave reporter (Peter Hunt I do believe) that the other half of the sanctuary actually held Elephants being trained to perform to the paying public. In this case the Elephants were playing football which may seem cute however, there is no saying how these animals are treated and also I strongly believe that these gorgeous creatures should not be used for our entertainment but should be released into the wild to live.  

Okay, so as if that wasn't bad enough, it was then reported that Prince William had been hunting - YES HUNTING - the day before making this speech. Now I know that some people are going to have a moan here, 'It's tradition, blah blah blah' but quite frankly I don't understand how murder can be classed as tradition. 

Now don't get me wrong, I am all for high profile individuals standing up for animals and raising awareness but, I am utterly baffled as to how Prince William, who is the President of the organisation United for Wildlife (funny, I know), can possibly explain his actions here. Maybe I should ask him?

Dear Prince William,

I would like to ask why you feel that the life of an Elephant is more important than the lives that you take when you go hunting?

Yours sincerely

Bex Piper (A very pissed off animal lover) 


I'm sure that would go down well! What are your thoughts on this situation? 

In other, happier news; Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey circus' are to retire their Indian Elephants! HOORAY! The plan is to phase out the use of the performing Elephants by 2018, but this is still great news. This also means that there is hope for other performing animals in captivity. 


I think this picture by Andy Marlette really speaks volumes!


 BB
For The Oceans

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bex//boolie-blog.blogspot.co.uk