Friday 22 May 2015

Do what makes you happy//A ramble from Boolie

Hello everyone! So I was going to do a post on National Vegetarian Week however, I've already done a video on it (you can find my YouTube link on my blog), so I decided to ramble for a bit.

When I was 17 I moved to London from Cornwall which was a really big, scary move for me to make; I left my family behind and got a full time job at Boots in Farringdon. When my parents eventually moved to Chelmsford, Essex, I moved back in with them and after deciding that I couldn't see myself at Boots in 10 years, I left and started an apprenticeship at Essex County Council.

Going to apprenticeship after full time work obviously meant I wasn't earning half the amount but I thought it might be a good idea to gain some qualifications whilst working in an office environment. After about 9 months at the council I was so unbelievably bored. I had moved departments to try and inject a bit of excitement into my role but I was at the point where no matter where I was working in the office, I was not cut out for office work. That area of work seemed far too dull for me, I know that plenty of people enjoy that line of work, but I just needed a bit more colour in my career path.

I have always loved and had a passion for writing and after being given the opportunity to go to London Fashion Week (Thanks Ozzy x) I decided to pursue a career in Journalism. Seeing all the bloggers and writers at LFW really opened my eyes to a more exciting lifestyle and I thought 'I want a piece of that!'. I left the council and enrolled on a Journalism Diploma course at uni.

I am very close to completing that course and have also managed to bag myself a part-time job at Lush; over the past few years I have become more and more passionate about animal rights as you all well know and I feel that being a part of Lush is such an excellent way to have an ethical job that involves animal rights as well as amazing, innovative products.

I am now in a strange position where I am so happy where I am at Lush that I have no intention of leaving the company. I know that perhaps people close to me may feel that I need a bit more direction in my career or a more stable job but I have come to a point in my life where I am determined to do what makes me happy. Obviously, I would never make any decisions to purposely hurt or upset anyone but if having a stable, high paid job means that I will be miserable then I will not be doing that!

Happiness is such an important thing; no one likes to disappoint their family but you have no idea what's around the next corner and where you may end up if you choose the unpopular option.

An example of this would be my brother. I never thought I would say this but I find him such an inspiration. My brother has made some decisions in his life that our parents may not have agreed with however, he is now living his dream, touring the world with his band and making enough money from doing what he loves that he can maintain a stable life in Brighton.

My next steps are a bit hazy at the moment but I hope it involves travelling a bit and eventually ending up in Brighton. I would love to stay with Lush and continue with my blog and YouTube videos alongside it. We shall see!

BB
For The Oceans

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bex//boolie-blog.blogspot.co.uk